Thursday, February 09, 2006

"So this is Valentines....and what have we done"

So valentines day is coming up, and I am kind of trying not to be a girl about it [definition of "being a girl": watching chick flicks and moping about not having a man and bringing every happy couple down a notch by always bitching about your own pathetic lonliness!] but it is hard when you work at a place where everyday you help women purchase their sex clothes and help men buy scented lotions and aphrodisiac candles to make the evening "special." This job choice just makes it a little harder to forget Febuary 14th. I always pride myself on not acting this way this time of year, but sometimes I feel tested by the scenarios life throws at me.

One of these was my brief meltdown on tuesday when I got a scam message on MySpace from a girl saying she was secretly in love with me. This led me to believe some stranger thought that based on my profile, I was a lesbian, so I had a minor 20 minute session of "DO PEOPLE THINK I AM GAY!!!" I mean I know it is the M.O. for me to be manless, but that new perspective had never crossed my mind....and now it was! SHIT!!!! This lasted only 20 minutes because then Angi called me and said our other roomate had gotten the same message 2 weeks earlier and it was a sham. THANK GOD!

I also dodged being a third wheel/ tagalong on a blind date thing tonight for one of my gay best friends. I was not so much, that might have been awkward and mildly depressing for me. I am kind of thankful my shoulder was sore!!

So I decided to rise above my own self imposed head trips, and head to the white trash mecca, Wal-Mart, to seek happiness via valentines goodies. I bought cards for my single friends, dove dark chocolates, all the makings for strawberry/valentine's cupcakes, and some cute new bras and panties [I realize that I am being a trader buying lingerie at a discount chain when I work at a store that sells it, but I am a cheap gal!]. I figured I would heed the advice of my dove chocolate wrapper [which I consider to be like a fortune cookie for a ritzy person] and "buy myself flowers" and "don't think about it that much." You can tell these little nuggets of hope were written for the types of people that buy a bag of dark chocolates right before Valentine's Day....LONELY WOMEN. What brilliant marketing!

No comments: