Saturday, March 04, 2006


"I don't know much...but I know Aaron Neville..."

So yesterday I was leaving a pretty pleasant day at "the secret" to get some sweet tea at the food court [TANGENT: I ended up giving up food court food and coffee for Lent, but sweet tea from Chik-Fil-A is still fair game, because frankly I am not so strong that I can resist the temptation of a delicious, moderately priced tea in a handy styrofoam cup...with FREE REFILLS no less. I figured God would understand!] and as I was fiddling with my cell phone, I see two housewives getting off the elevator and having a coniption over someone that was stepping on, saying, "I can't belive you're here and I am meeting you! I love your work. Take care. God Bless!"

Of course, the nosey bitch I am, I hastily pressed the button so the doors would fly back open, and I could spend 1 unescapable minute of one on one with some mystery celebrity! Was it Tom Hanks or Oprah or some other lovable star? Nope, It was Aaron Neville! [TANGENT:While retelling this story to people later at work, no one but the black girls quite knew who I was talking about. Even after singing "I don't know much, but I know I love you....let me be all I need to know," I still got a lot of blank stares. I then followed with the Horation Sanz impression from SNL...still, NOTHING! Who are these people!!] He was wearing the usual "don't look at me, but look at me" attire, sunglasses and a black hat! I know he is not a huge star by today's standards, but I still felt like we needed to share a moment. Here is our conversation:

Me: How are you doing today?
Aaron: good...and you?
Me: Good its not too busy....What are you doing in town? are you doing some shopping today?
Aaron: Yeah....I just gotta pick up something [TANGENT: after walking behind him on the way to the food court, I realized, he was hitting up the diamond store. Maybe to buy a large medallion...who's to say? ]
Me: Have you been in New Orleans this week for the Mardi Gras [after watching the super bowl, I knew that he did a lot of post-katrina work because he was from there...way to be informed!!]
Aaron: No...I have really bad asthma and the air quality is bad [Jackpot: he has confided to me his health problems]

So in all, I think I got way more than the sweet tea I desired, I shared a tender moment in an elevator by a celebrity with a large facial mole!


2 comments:

kc said...

I do the BEST Aaron Neville impression! But that's awesome that he confided his health problems to you. You and Aaron are like this now (and by "this," I mean I'm doing the fingers crossing thing). How can those girls not even know the Horatio Sanz "Give me some more cocoa butter" Aaron Neville impression? White people, man.

Anonymous said...

I completely want a random celebrity elevator moment! I'm thinking...... someone from Best Week Ever.