Sunday, August 28, 2005

I am officially old

As I move into the same apartment for the 5th time I am realizing that I am officially old. I came to this epiphone while watching the MTV Video music awards. [TANGENT: I always watch these shows the first night they are on...even though deep down I know they will be rerun and rerun tomorrow and the next day and the next. and I know I will not be able to fight the temptation to watch it at least 2 more times on the off chance that I missed something during the bathroom break.) I am getting to where I could care less about the winners and losers..Its not like I own an Ashlee Simpson or a 50 cent cd. With the exception of the killers, the people I listen to don't even make videos. If Elton John and Journey were in the running then maybe I would be more excited.

I long for the days when popular music was the soundtrack to my life. I rarely listen to the radio anymore and kind of miss that. I remember when The Freshman by the Verve came out and I was a Freshman in highschool. I now realize that the song is either about abortion or a coke addiction and death, but me and my ignorant friends would have sworn it was about our class back in 1997. I remember when Alanis Morrissette had her Jagged Little Pill heyday...Kristen, Emily Kenyon and myself would pass notes in the back of Dudley Davis' Tennessee History to discuss her lyrics ["were you thinking of me when you fuck her?" really spoke to me as a 7th grade girl who had never kissed a boy and still regularly shopped at Sanrio Suprises.] and the excitement we felt when we discovered the secret song at the end of the album or the jealousy I felt when Kristen got to go to the concert. I long for that. I definitely used to be one of those girls who watched TRL after school and loved N*Sync in their early Justin Timberlake bleached out phase, but to keep my cred called them a "cheesy boyband." I miss that passion that I shared with every other girl my age. Although I am all for branching out and try Indie stuff or older stuff, I miss that sense of community...and the fact that I am longing for "the old days" is making me feel even older.

I am also feeling old because it is going on my 5th year of college and as much as I love it, I am ready to go. After getting a taste of the real world this summer, I am ready. I know come December that tune might be changing, for now its consistent. I guess I better go get stuff ready for my 9th semester of MTSU courses!! have i mentioned that I feel old?

No comments: